Monday, April 20, 2009

Adenoids.... Keep? Or not to keep?

We took Erika to the Ear, Nose and Throat specialist last Thursday and were told she has the hearing of an 85 year old man. Great huh? She repeatedly asks, "Whad' ya say?" Drives us CRAZY!!!!! We now know why. She has fluid behind her eardrums that apparently has been there for awhile because it's now the consistency of Jell-O. We now have to do tubes and possibly remove her adenoids.

The tubes are a must and the specialist says it's a hard call about the adenoids. It's possible that the tubes can do the trick and she'll be fine, because as she gets older her head will get bigger and there will be more room for the adenoids. But there is also the possibility that after her tubes fall out in a year or so, it may happen again. At that point we would have to do tubes all over again and then for sure have her adenoids removed. So, we are now debating whether to just remove them now, or give just the tubes a try. Have any of you had problems with adenoids? Any feedback to help us make our decision would be appreciated!!!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, Sadie had the same problem. She couldn't hear anything in one ear and the other she could only hear 30%. She really didn't talk until she was almost 2 because of it. She had to have tubes and still has them in. She didn't have her adenoids out. She is doing fine too. Though, Lily had to have her adenoids out and it really wasn't bad at all. She also had her tonsells out, and that was the part that sucked! So I don't know what to tell you. I am sorry she has to have go through all of it! Good luck with everything!

The Cox Family said...

It really is a hard call, because I have seen it go both ways- the tubes just fixing the problem or the tubes falling out and having to go back in. It would be so nice if we could see the future and exactly know what to do huh? I wish you the best of luck in deciding what to do!

Stacy said...

If only I knew what adenoids were....

The Tanner Family said...

Elisa had her tonsils and adnoids removed. She had tons of ear infections when she was little as well, luckily there was no hearing loss. We don't regret it, but it really was the Dr's call when they took out her tonsils. They just removed them due to the fact that they were in there and they knew they were also causing problems. I realy don't know what role they play or how important they are. I will keep you in our prayers. If it were me though, I would probably just have them removed so as to possible avoid another surgery.
Hang in there.
Love ya!

Zach said...

Adenoids are big, giant crater-y rocks flying through space right? J/k That is really a tough thing to go through I'm sorry. I know things will be alright whatever happens though.

The Heaps Family said...

Sorry to hear she is going through this. It's not fun to see your kids undergo any kind of surgery but obviously it is a decision that needs serious thought and prayer. I'm sure you guys will know what the right move is...! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill--Haven't seen you for so long. Glad I could find you (through a little blog stalking of course)!! Your family looks so cute. What have you been up to in Washington? It will be fun to check in on you.

Whitney (Williams) Whitney