Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Gratitude

I feel like I just need to write down how grateful I am at this moment for the many AMAZING blessings in my life.  I've been very emotional the last day and a half...  I received a phone call yesterday at 1:42 telling me our bishop's house was on fire and I needed to let my husband know, as he is the Elders Quorum President in our ward.... Oh. my. goodness.......  My heart froze for one split second and I panicked...  What do I do?  How can I help?  All I knew was that I needed to be there....  Jocelyn was sleeping, so I threw the monitor at my neighbor and asked her to listen for her for a few minutes and I hopped in the car with Kaden...  As I was pulling up 30 seconds later, (because the bishop lives literally 30 seconds via automobile) I received another phone call...  "They need jackets and blankets, the wind is blowing and cold, and they have NOTHING."  I turned around grabbed some sweatshirts and blankets and was back in not kidding you, 2 minutes....

And then...  All we could do was watch it burn....  :*(  Oh it was horrible....  As I walked up the 21 year old with  Asperger's was sitting on the tailgate crying.  As I hugged him, he sobbed.  And I must admit, I am a sympathy crier...  So, I of course cried with him.  He was so worried about his cat.  That is the only thing he could think about...  That poor cat.  It was the worst feeling ever.  Being there to help, but not really being able to help.  Oh, we did the small things...  Pull the plants off of the porch where we weren't in the way of the firefighters.  Kirk was able to mow the lawn because honestly, that's what the mom was worried about before she had discovered the fire...  Helping bury their dog, and their cat...  Give blessings...  But all we could really do was be there....

As I crawled into bed last night, I couldn't help but pour my heart out to our Heavenly Father.  I am SOOOO blessed.  I am sooo thankful for the many things I take for granted every day.  I am truly blessed to have a new beautiful home.  I am blessed with the many things I have inside my home and I can't imagine having nothing but the clothes on my back.  I am so thankful for great friends who will gladly take my children so I can go help others.  I am so thankful for my beautiful family, and especially our beautiful children...  BUT...  as I look at their situation they have much to be grateful for.  Their family is SAFE.  All of them.  They are together.  They have each other and that is all that matters...  BUT...  they have no clothes, no place to call home, no where to lay their heads down at night (besides a hotel and we all know how comfortable that is for an extended period of time), no space that is truly THEIRS!!!  It was a small blessing to see their scriptures and journals make it out safely.  A little bit of soot, but not burnt. 

I know there is a reason for this.  There is obviously something to be learned here and I believe everything happens for a reason.  But at this time, my heart breaks for them and I can't do anything but feed them and be grateful for the many blessings I have.  I know that later as we look back, we will recognize the blessings and hopefully have some understanding.  But in the here and now, it stinks...  There's no other way to put it. :(

1 comment:

JessicaLouise said...

You were like a ray of sunshine for them that day, no doubt! Love you!