One of Kirk's wonderful co-workers nominated him to receive an award as a Champion for Kids. It's an annual event put on by a group called Together (Youth violence, alcohol, tobacco, drug prevention) in which they acknowledge people in the community who help kids in different ways through their work as well as through a volunteer basis. What an honor!
Kirk was awarded on Monday night as a Champion For Kids!!! It was a very nice evening filled with music, dinner, fundraising and awards. They had a nice program with information about each awardee and here is what was written about Kirk:
TwinStar Credit Union Champion - Kirk Smith
As the Financial Education Specialist, Kirk Smith spends time in local classrooms teaching youth about financial literacy. Topics include wants vs. needs, savings, budgeting, and credit. Most recently Kirk has written and developed a program called Star City. This classroom-based economy and management program that helps students learn about making money while working in the classroom, spending money on rent for their desks and other bills, and investing money by purchasing their desks from their teachers. Currently there are 47 classrooms and over 1,200 students using this program in Washington State. Kirk continues his commitment to youth by working as a volunteer assistant scout leader for the Boy Scouts of America Troop 220 in Yelm.
It was neat to be able to see him receive something so special and some recognition for his hard work. He loves his job and I'm grateful for that every day.
Kirk and his co-worker Bill Jean :o) (Billie Jean, but her name tag said Bill Jean)
I looked up the definition of Champion: one that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner. I'm grateful that he is able to be a champion to so many kids, but I'm more grateful that he is my own personal champion. He is clearly superior in my eyes and he has definitely won my heart! I love you sweetheart! Thanks for all your hard work and everything you do for me and your kids. We love you!!!!
Rhonda, Andy, Kirk and I after the Presentation

3 comments:
Congrats, that is very, very cool! You look great in the picture by the way!
That is so NEAT. Really it is!! I love the idea he came up with for the classroom setting. That would be so neat to see that expanded everywhere. Way to go Kirk!!
p.s. you look so pretty in that picture!!
I sure do think your hair is cute!!! hahaha. so, you are a product of the curse, but now that we know there is a curse we can beat it by NOT tryng SOOO hard even though we want to look just right and blow everyone away! I love ya girl.
Post a Comment