Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An apple a day, keeps the doctors away.....


Erika on the way to the Dr.

Erika obviously has NOT been eating an apple a day. :o) Tuesday morning bright and early we headed to the surgery center. Our check in time was 6:40 and her surgery was scheduled for 7:55. They gave her a pre-med that is supposed to relax them and make them not care about leaving you to go back for surgery. This DID NOT happen for us. :o( They gave her 3/4 of a dose and she sure got goofy, we had some good laughs, and then..... the nurse had to take her on back in a wheel chair. Oh my goodness, she freaked out!! She started screaming and crying that she didn't want to go. Thankfully Kirk was there to tell her it would all be okay, because I had to turn my head because I couldn't hold back the tears. There's nothing like your child being taken from you against their will. She broke my heart....

After the "goofy" juice kicked in, I think she hung over the side like that for 4 minutes straight....
She snuggled into daddy for a minute and stayed there, when he tried to move his head, she would just pull him closer. :o) Like mother, like daughter...

Waiting to go back, can you tell we're getting loopy?

After composing myself we went to the waiting room for literally 15 minutes before they came and got me to come sit with her as she was waking up. She sat up very suddenly and started freaking out again, which they say is normal, but it was sure not any fun. After calming her down she got a Popsicle and then we were able to leave. We were out of there by 9:00. It's nice that it was such a quick procedure and they don't drag everything out. They told us she would be inconsolable for awhile and then be back to normal. She definitely tried my patience yesterday, but all in all she did GREAT!!! Good job big girl!!!



Erika recovering at home in her "fort" - Thanks daddy!

Oh, and the best part, I don't have to hear "What did you say?" after everything!!! Wahoo!!!! What a blessing it us to us that everything went well and that she is recovering quickly.

5 comments:

Clenece said...

What did she have to go in for??

Glad it went okay!! That would be so hard for a mother to watch them take your children away to surgery!! Way to be a trooper!

MMThueson said...

You are brave parents! I would have been freaking out! She is so cute. Way to go Erika!!!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

One of my funniest moments as a mother was dealing with Logan when he got his happy pill before he was put under. I wished I'd had a video camera. It was AWESOME. At one point he was on the gurney and he grabbed on the nurses hands and put it on the rail and said, "RUUUUUUN" he kept trying to con everyone in to running him up and down the hall on the gurney. So funny.
I'm glad she got through it okay (and you did too).

Marci and Matt said...

I'm such a slacker lately with checking up on people's blogs. What did Erika have surgery on? Poor thing. It's so hard seeing your little ones being taken away. I cried when Tanner had surgery, and when we got his root canals. Hope she is doing well!!

The Cox Family said...

I am glad that it went so well and Erika can finally hear now! It breaks my heart too when children are so upset and don't understand what is going on. Poor girl!!!